As always, this recipe is healthy for you and diabetic friendly. Your friends and family will love it. Let me know if you try it.
This Recipe Serves 6
6 extra-large white mushrooms (8 ounces)
2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
¼ small onion, diced
¼ small green pepper, diced
2 ounces lean turkey breakfast sausage
2 tablespoons gluten-free bread crumbs (or your favorite bread crumbs)
1 tablespoon reduced-fat, shredded mozzarella
1 tablespoon freshly grated Parmesan (Don’t use that stuff in the green carton)
Parsley or Cilantro for garnish. (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Coat a square baking dish with cooking spray.
- Remove the stems from the mushrooms and chop them finely. Set aside the stems.
- Place the mushroom caps in a bowl and toss them with 1 teaspoon olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Set aside the caps.
- Heat the remaining teaspoon olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, green pepper, and mushroom stems and sauté for 3 minutes. Add the sausage and cook for another 8 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until the sausage is completely browned.
- Add the bread crumbs, stirring to combine evenly with all the other ingredients. Stir in the mozzarella cheese and melt.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the Parmesan cheese.
- Fill each mushroom generously with the sausage mixture (about 1 heaping tablespoon per mushroom cap). Arrange the mushrooms in the baking dish and bake 40 minutes or until the stuffing is crispy on the top.
MAKE IT GLUTEN-FREE: Confirm all ingredients, including turkey breakfast sausage, are gluten-free. If you don’t have gluten-free bread crumbs you can make your own or try using cornmeal.
Serving Size: 1 mushroom cap
- Carbohydrate3 g
- Protein4 g
- Fat3.0 g
- Saturated Fat0.7 g
- Sugar1 g
- Dietary Fiber1 g
- Cholesterol10 mg
- Sodium85 mg
- Potassium155 mg